In the fall of 1895 there was a banner crop of corn grown in the area resulting in 10,500 cans of vegetables, mostly corn, being canned at the old canning factory.  L. E. Parsons, the publisher of the old Grove City Blade weekly newspaper ran a contest that the person who brought the largest ears of corn to the newspaper office would receive a one year subscription to the newspaper.  There was no indication of how many ears of corn Parsons received.