Franklin Township, the oldest in the county, was organized in 1803 and some of the early settlers included Samuel White, John Huffman and William Harrison Sr.
While the township in general was mostly farmland, the two biggest employers were the Central Ohio Lunatic Asylum and the Idiotic Asylum, both located off the National Road (Rt. 40). The complex was a point of pride in the area and boasted not only offices but a library, museum, hospital, parlors, sewing and storerooms and classrooms for instruction.
John Brobeck was the proprietor of a large stone quarry off the Scioto River in the northwest quadrant of the township. James Mitchell was also in the stone business and also advertised he was a lime burner.
Three separate railroad tracks ran through the township including the Cincinnati, Springfield and Columbus Railroad, the Little Miami Railroad and another section that was unnamed.
Franklinton, which was also being called Columbus, was the only village in the township.