Prairie Township was organized in 1819 largely from what was then Brown Township. Before the township was organized, the Clover family from Virginia and Ross County, Ohio settled an area that became known as Clover Settlement. The couple had 12 children, 10 boys and two girls. Other early settlers included Samuel Higgins, Shadrick Postle and William Mannon.
The largest village in the township at the time was Alton. Rome was about one third the size and both were located west of Columbus on the National Road (Rt. 40). Just north of Alton village was Alton Station located on the Little Miami Rail Road.
Galloway Station was a settlement sliced in half by the Cincinnati, Springfield and Columbus Rail Road. Community residents had easy access to Harrisburg on the Harrisburg and Galloway Free Turnpike.
Like the other townships, farming was the major occupation but there were other professions including a vineyard, cheese factory, manufacturer of drain tiles, sawmill and numerous stock dealers.