Ohio Governor George White was the featured speaker Aug. 21, 1931 when Grove City dedicated Broadway’s new brick surface. Sixty-five percent of property owners abutting Broadway petitioned the village council in 1929 to improve the road with brick. Council enacted legislation June 7, 1930.
The old road was leveled and graded by the W. H. Ringwald Company of Chillicothe. Water mains and the sewer lines were lowered as part of the project and sewage drainage tile was laid under the new road to prevent the road from being torn up at a later date. Construction of the road began in April 1930. A six-inch bed of concrete provided the base and sand, to the depth of three quarters of an inch, covered the concrete providing the base for brick; cost $114,877.66. Many local residents were employed to work on the project.
Besides the parade, performances included a 58-piece Boy’s Industrial School band from Lancaster and a nationally recognized trapeze group. Part of the day’s events also included a pajama revue for girls 12 and older, baby show, athletic events, bike races, chicken catching contest, tape dance performances, baseball game between Georgesville and Commercial Point, a demonstration by the River Ridge Polo team and prize drawings, to mention only a few of the day’s activities. Seventy-six merchant prizes, from a block of salt to a gallon of fly spray, went to the winners.
Source: The Grove City Record