(The following was written by Faye White Moreland and is reprinted from “Reflections II”, a collection of local stories available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
In 1886 the school was crowded. The following year, the voters turned down a bond issue, saying the taxes would be ruinous. However in 1888, the voters passed the bond issue to build a four-room brick schoolhouse. They argued first over a three or 4-room building. The four-room backer won.
Before putting up this third school building, the Board of Education of Grove City Special School District procured, after considerable negotiation, the title to Lot No. 32 (the easterly of the two school lots) from the Jackson Township Board of Education. The title was then clear to both lots and vested in the Grove City Special School District. Building preceded in 1888 on both lots
That year the first or front section of three sections of the present grade school was erected from brick made in the Grove City Brickyard operated by A.G. Grant. William Sibray and his son, J.E. Sibray, were awarded the contract for the brick masonry. The first section had four rooms, two up and two down. The two lower rooms were used until 1890. The teachers were Supt. L.T. Fisher and Gertrude Mench. In 1890, A.C. Fries join the school’s staff. A third room was opened for his class.
Supt. L.T. Fisher began to develop a high school. Four years later, a fourth teacher, Miss Jesse Snouffer, was added to the teaching staff and the work in the fourth, (upper west room), became more distinctly, one for a high school curriculum.
Some of the teachers, other than those already mentioned, proceeding 1895 were: A.L. Nichols, George Smith, S.E. Johnson, Eva McGiven, Olga Brush and Bertha Lynch.
(The continuation of this story in the next blog entry).