(The following was written by Lillian Swysgood McKinley and is reprinted from “Reflections II”, a collection of local stories available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
An overall picture of the village in the early twentieth century would include these early residents and business people.
- There were the groceries, five of them, owned and operated by Larry Seifert, Frank Chenoweth, Charles H. Copeland, C.O. Smith, Henry Manning and Jerry Chenoweth.
- A hardware and buggy store operated by Fred A. Chamberlin.
- The Tin Shop furnished work for Hayes Brown.
- The physicians were Dr. George Helmick, Dr. Will McKinley and Dr. James (Jim) McKinley. Earlier there were Dr. Postle and Dr. Rofey. Later came Dr. Charles Smith.
- The undertaker, Lon Douglas, followed by Smith and Norris.
- The plasters were Jacob Snyder and his sons, also his brother “Monk”.
- Jake Snyder was the Sunday school superintendent for many years.
- The barbers were Jake Seward and Hiram G. McKinley.
- The cobblers were George Six and Ed H. Parks.
- L. T. “Lafe” Shepherd and his sons John and “Budge” were the harness makers.
- The paperhanger was Uriah Swygerd. He also had a greenhouse.
- Early liverymen were Joe Murphy, Joe Gantz and Lou Potter.
- The superintendent of schools was Joe McCarty, and later a Mr. Howard.
- Carpenters were Ed Wood and Frank Alexander.
- The well cleaner was Fount Ballard.
- The blacksmiths were Joe Smith, Seymour Lane and Henry Wright.
With the coming of the Citizens telephone, Harrisburg had its own exchange. Originally Grove City served the village. Employees were needed. Lorena Shepherd and Mrs. Caldwell were the first “hello” girls. Faye Martin was a repairman.
Mrs. Swysgood had a hotel “The Swysgood House” on High Street. The earlier hotel had been the United States on the southeast corner of Columbus and High. This building burned in 1915.
At one time, including a jug saloon, there were five in the village. A jug saloon was in connection with a grocery store. The drinks were poured into the glass directly from the jug.
In 1900, there were two thriving saloons. One operated by Jacob Galle, stood at the northeast corner of Columbus and High streets, now the Harrisburg bank has erected a building on this lot. The other saloons stood on the eastside of High Street. The saloon was owned by Willis Poulson, son of Andy, who was mentioned previously as having helped erect the church. This lot is now occupied by the Bell Telephone Company. The saloon building was moved across the street and is now owned by Mr. Gochenour.