(The following was written by Earl Nicholson and is reprinted from “Reflections II”, a collection of local stories available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
As is implied by the name, “Borror’s Corners” was located at the intersection of State Route 104 and 665. The Franklin County plat map of 1912 still showed 665 as the “London Shadeville Free Pike”. The 1883 plat map still show the name “Borror’s Corners” at the intersection. I’ve not seen anything to indicate Borror’s Corners was ever more than an unincorporated Village.
We know from the early plat maps as well as the James seeds family history that there was a crossing point on the Scioto River just south of Shadeville. We also know the following early pioneers of Jackson Township located in that area before Pickaway County was formed (1810). John Currie – 1801 (he was born while crossing the Atlantic while the family was on their way to America). John settled in what later became Pickaway County. Percival Adams – 1803, Woolery Conrad – 1804, William Duff – 1806 (a wheelwright) and Henry Baumgartner.
The following families settled in the area before 1820: James Seeds, Jacob Strader, Absalom Borror, Magdalene Borror (widow of a revolutionary war soldier), Hawes Barbee and John Curry, Jr.
The first school in the township was formed at Borror’s Corners in 1815 on the land of Solomon Borror. This was a subscription school. Each family helped support the school and the teacher either by money, supplies or providing room and board for the teacher. (Ten years passed before property was taxed to support public education – 1825). This school, of about 20 students, was taught by Asa Davis, and made up of primarily Borrors, Millers, Seeds, Fishels and Fitzgeralds.
The first store in the township was started by Absalom Borror. Many of the first blacksmiths settled around Borror’s Corners. The first church in the township was started by William Miller in 1812 in his home. By 1815, a church organization was formed and a few years later, a log church was constructed on the land of Christopher Strader. In 1850 the new Scioto Chapel was built on the land of Solomon Borror adjacent to Christopher Strader on Jackson Pike.
On September 18th, 1996, the Ohio Historical Society installed a historical marker at Borror’s Corners, the junction of Ohio Routes 104 and 665. One side of the marker describes Borror’s Corners, as the area was known for many years. The other side honors the Pioneer Borror family and the settlement begun by the widowed Magdalene Strader-Borror and her seven children.