S.E. Johnston started in the coal business about 1890. The coal yard was located near the railroad track between Park Street and Grove City Pike.
He was formerly a school teacher and taught in Grove City and vicinity for five years. Seeing the opportunity for a business of his own, he began supplying coal to local residents. The business grew and a few years later A.G. Grant entered into partnership with him and the grain business was added.
After the death of Grant, a son, Jesse R. Grant, took over his father’s interest. Later, added the lines of lumber, building material and supplies, were added to the business offering.
Source: Lewis Garrison