G. J. Mayer was a farmer several years before he came to Grove City in 1916 and entered the grocery business. After two years, he expanded to include a hardware line and with that began to move away from selling groceries.
His store was located on Broadway and within a short time, he expanded his hardware business to include automobile accessories and the Oliver line of farm implements. He also sold the Florence automatic oil stove to local consumers.
Source: Lewis Garrison