(The following was written by Faye and Harold Morland, and is reprinted from “The Epoch of the Park Street School 1853-1964 and Grove City, Ohio”. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
The original recording of the plat of 78 lots was destroyed by fire at the Franklin County Court House. However, a recording of a copy of this plat may be found today in the Recorder’s Office. The copy was filed together with a petition signed by 37 citizen voters, praying for the Incorporation of the Village of Grove City as shown on the Platte. The name prayed for was, “The incorporation of the Town of Grove City”. The County Commissioners granted the charter the same day the petition was filed on March 9, 1866. All was recorded the same date. In 1868 Grove City became a special school district.
On June 12, 1869, Elizabeth Campbell Breck deeded to the Board of Education of Grove City Special School District Lot No. 33, next to Arbutus Avenue, for $50.00 paid to her by the members of the School of Education. See Deed Book No. 98, page 436, Recorder’s Office. Members of the board where Dr. Joseph Bulen, M.A. White and Ruben Haughn. The population of Grove City in 1870 was 143.
A second and larger two-room frame school building was erected on Lot No. 33 in 1870. The directors of the Board of Education of Grove City Special School District decided to build the new two-room frame school on the newly acquired Lot No. 33, because the title was clear. Moreover, the title to the log school on Lot No. 32 was vested in the Board of Education of Jackson Township. The new school was built and the inadequate log school was removed. Conveniences were more modern. When this second school building was no longer suitable in size or convenience for school purposes, it was sold. Mr. A.G. Grant purchased this building, moved it to Broadway where the Norris Funeral home now stands, and converted it into a double house for rental purposes. It was torn down in 1939. Some of the early teachers in this school were: William Barnett, Samuel Parks, Lydia Spade, Ardilys Harsh, Matilda Grant and David Braggs.
Maple trees seem to have been in great favor in those days. The principal streets were lined with them. Captain J.A. Swaney planted a row of them on the East edge of Lot No. 32. All lived. Later pupils planted them all over both lots on Arbor Day. This second school was soon crowded, but served the village until 1888.
(The continuation of this story in the next blog entry.)