(The following was written by Marilyn Gibboney, and is reprinted from “Reflections II”, a collection of local stories available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)

In the winter it was extremely cold in the side doors were closed and blankets were wrapped around their legs and bodies. Once on the road, the horse knew the way and the driver had a chance to catch a few winks. The distance they drove was about 15 miles and it took more than 3 hours to make the trip. The roads were often muddy and rutted and it was not unusual to drive even further because they could not get through the mud, particularly in the spring. The stand, which they rented for years, was located on S. Fourth Street south of Main Street. They would drive down to the stall, unload the produce and then take the horse and wagon to the livery stable on Cherry Alley.

In later years after the children were older, grandmother had her turn to go to market. This gave her an opportunity to see many friends. Her customers were people who worked in the area, some were business people and others were Columbus residents who wanted fresh country eggs, butter, cheese or whatever was in season.

This day also gave grandmother a chance to visit with other Grove City area friends, go to the dentist, shop, go to the dry goods store and take care of any other business.

The Main Street business district was where she did her shopping. Souder’s restaurant was where everyone ate lunch. Soon after lunch the regular customers had picked up their goods and it was time to pack up to go home again. When grandmother went to market, she would take one of her daughters with her to help her.

The trip home was repeated and they would talk about who they had seen, what was new and share what they had purchased.

In 1952 when plans were made for the Grove City Centennial Mr. William Albright asked grandmother if she still had her Market Wagon. He wanted to drive it in the Centennial parade. She gave her permission and my father made a sign that said “Joe Schlosser’s Market Wagon”. The top wagon was more than 60 years old at the time and made the trip without any problems.