(The following is reprinted from “Reflections II”, a collection of local stories available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
In 1809, the three eldest sons of Jacob Borror, Jr. (and the widowed Magdalene Strader-Borror came to Jackson Township of Franklin County, Ohio and began clearing the land that had been given to their family by Christopher Strader, Sr., who was living in Ross County, Ohio, at that time. Approximately two years later, Magdalene and her other children moved to the area her sons had cleared. It was this area (now the intersection of Ohio Route 104 and 665) that became known as Borror’s Corners. Borror’s Corners is about twelve miles south of Columbus, Ohio. It was never Incorporated and is not indicated on current maps of Ohio. However, it was clearly marked on maps in the 1800’s.
The seven children of Magdalene Strader-Borror and Jacob Borror, Jr., were Martin, Jacob III, Solomon, Isaac, and Absalom.
The Borror family has been prolific and productive. In 1995, they were 511 listings for Borror in U.S. telephone directories, with 95 in Ohio, 64 in West Virginia, and 47 in Indiana. There are more than 70 descendants of Magdalene Strader-Borror buried at the Scioto Cemetery just south of Borror’s Corners in Franklin County, Ohio, and more than 90 descendants in the Concord cemetery on Route 665 just west of Borror’s Corners. The contributions to the community of the individual Borrors include housewives, teachers, zoologists, biologists, ministers, people in business, military personnel, lawyers, laborers and other occupations needed to fuel a growing metropolitan area.
All of this began with the pioneering efforts of Magdalene Strader-Borror and her seven children. A State Historical marker about Borror’s Corners is located at the crossroads of Routes 104 and 665. This marker was dedicated on Saturday, June 28th at 10:00 a.m. with the dedication being one of the activities of the fifth Great Borror Reunion.