(The following was written by Lewis Garrison, and is reprinted from 1927’s “Grove City – The Town with a Future”, available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.
C. Willert, Dry Goods and Footwear
On August 1, 1892, Mr. Willert started as a clerk in the grocery store of Frank L. Wilson in the premises now owned and occupied by him on Broadway in the south end of town. Consequently he worked for a grocery by the name of A. L. Nichols in the north end of town. 6 months later, and on August 1, 1894, Mr. Willert bought the Frank L. Wilson store and continued in the grocery line. Dry goods were gradually introduced into the stock and in 12 years later he closed out groceries entirely and engaged in dry goods and footwear exclusively. Today he carries an exceptionally fine line of footwear, gents’ furnishings, dry goods and ladies’ furnishings from the inner to the outer garments. In fact, the store is stocked with everything from hats to shoes. The large storeroom, 40 by 50 feet in size, is more than completely stocked for a town the size of Grove City and this is justified and made possible by the fact that trade comes from miles around. Close prices, courteous treatment, good service and having the goods that the trade demands are the features that have spelled success.