(The following was written by Lewis Garrison, and is reprinted from 1927’s “Grove City – The Town with a Future”, available at the Grove City Welcome Center and Museum. Any opinions made in the article are from the author.)
Johnston and Grant
Mr. S.E. Johnston started in the coal business about 1890 and is the oldest established business here. The coal yard is located on the B. and O. Between Park Street and Grove City Pike. He was formerly a school teacher and taught in Grove City and vicinity for five years. Seeing the opportunity for a business of his own he started as above noted. The business grew and a few years later A.G. Grant, now deceased, entered into partnership with him and the grain business was added. This business was conducted successfully until recent years. After the death of Mr. Grant, a son, Jesse R. Grant, took over his father’s interest and is still active in the business. Later were added the lines of lumber, building material and supplies, builders hardware, etc.